Sunday, November 14, 2021

Plan B

 As planned, I took a rest day yesterday. It was a good decision. My legs weren't sore but had a different feeling. When I woke up this morning, I absolutely did not want to run. Since I woke up at 4:30 AM I had 90 minutes to get in the proper running mindset. It worked, I suited up and started my run. My legs were heavy, my cadence was low, and my pace was very slow. Usually, I have to force myself to run slowly in the start. Oftentimes, I start at a pace of 10:30 or even 10:00. Today, my starting pace was more like 12:15. I made the decision to back the run less than 1/8 mile after starting!

As mentioned in earlier posts, I am working up to 10K runs by following a 5Kto10K plan. The week I am in now calls for [1.8 mile run; 0.1 mile walk] x 3. I completed the first workout of the week on Friday (today would have been the 2nd run). I was not happy with the results and for sure was not looking forward to more of the same.

That gets us to Plan C. Wing it! Actually, I am switching to MY tried and true method of increasing mileage - run longer distances. Something along the lines of add a little more mileage to the runs. For example, run 3 miles, next day run 3.3 miles, next day run 3.6 (or less depending on how I feel). Basically, when it comes time to increase the distance, add 10%. All the runs will be easy runs. I also have the option to work on getting faster instead of increasing the distance on any given run (in which case all the runs won't be easy runs - but mostly).

Another factor is the stupid weather - the heat! It's WAY easier for my to run 3 miles or 3.3 or 3.6 continuous in the heat than the present plan I was following.

As I am typing this, I am thinking of Plan D - hybrid of my method and the 5Kto10K plan.

Due to some appointments, I am taking another rest day tomorrow :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Good Run!

I debated running today. My quads were feeling it a little from yesterday. I walked a little with high knees and everything felt fine. Then ...